Friday, October 21, 2011

Vichyssoise leek and potato soup


I apologize for the lack of recipe inclusion in my blog. The few that I have added thus far include obscure ingredient. That is why I have added the following recipe for you. This famous leek and potato puree soup is fantastic. Not just for the fact that it has less than five ingredients, but because it is absolutely splendid served either hot or cold. For this time of year, I suggest serving it hot.

1 leek
5 potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1.5 cups cream
salt
pepper mill

Don't bother washing the leek before cutting it. Cut off the white portion of leek and slice it very thinly. It will begin to separate naturally. Wash it now in a colander. In a heavy bottomed stainless steel pot, saute the leeks in butter. Keep the flame low so you only sweat them, don't let them caramelize and brown. Add in the potatoes and allow them to sweat and become coated with the butter. As soon as you sense that the contents start sticking to the bottom of the pan, remove and add water just above the line of potatoes. The less water you add, the more flavorful your soup will be. Return the mixture to the stove and allow to simmer steadily with a lid on. After about fifteen minutes, the potatoes will be cooked completely. Take off of the stove and allow to cool a bit. Ladle this mixture into a blender and mix until completely smooth, adding the cream slowly. Place in a container until further use. When reheating to serve, season the mixture with salt. After placing in the bowl to serve, add a bit of pepper from the mill. By doing this last step, you insure that the pepper doesn't become bitter or "burnt" tasting during the cooking of the soup. When the soup is presented, the steam allows the pepper to waft into your nostrils, creating a pleasant and appetite stimulating sensation.
 Simmering the leeks and potatoes
Final product=Vichyssoise

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I love the photos my mouth is watering. I found your blog from looking at the internship winners from WCR (Im a member too). I'm currently doing a pastry internship in Germany (found through a different scholarship program though) and wanted to apply for this one next year. I definitely want to come to L'Ancienne Auberge when when I head to France, I hope you're having an amazing time it looks like it!

    ReplyDelete